Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ho-lee Shee-it, Batman!

Sunday night, I didn't want to grit my teeth through the one-hour season finale of Family Guy while my S.O.  payed it some attention while conquering the world on a real-time strategy game, so I grab my neglected journal and head upstairs.  After I let the old dogs out to pee and gathered the odd dog bed up for Scully.  We have two dogs and three dog beds.  I'm not sure how that happened.  But one bed travels between the living room, where they stay when we're not home, & upstairs, where they snore louder than my S.O. does, at times.   :P

I am a multi-tasker.  (Why do one thing well, when you can split your attention and do two [or more] things adequately?)  I was icing my shins (frelling shin-splints!), writing my journal entry and compulsively checking my email all roughly at the same time.  


About quarter to 10, up pops an email from a representative of Balticon, informing me that one of the three poems I submitted to their annual Sci-Fi Poetry Contest won third prize, sorry for the late notice, but if you'd like to come and read it at the convention, it won't cost you a thing to get in. (Travel and lodging, not included, of course.)  Paraphrasing here. 

Hoooo-leeee Shee-it, Batman! Robin! Batgirl! (I never understood why they put nipples on the various Batsuits.  And why totally erect ones for Batman and Robin, and only discretely half-erect ones for Batgirl?)  

Anyway, I digress.  I immediately email back that I'm honored to be selected and would love to read my poem at the convention, which, to tell the truth, I'd been trying to figure out how to attend, even though it's less than a week away.  

I call my older sister.  At 10 pm on a Sunday night, I knew she'd still be up.  This is the same older sister who started sending me her sci-fi bookclub books to read when she was in HS in NC and I was a young and immature 11-year-old jr high school student (7th grade).  I went straight from horse and dog books like The Black Stallion series to sci-fi books like Roger Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber and Jack L. Chalker's weird "I have issues with my own sexuality, so I will write it all out in a fantasy series."*


I really was reading a bit over my comprehension at times.  


More tomorrow.  Me too tired to write more....snore.

* This is just my opinion.  I avoid his books.  Left a bad taste in my too-young-mind.

2 comments: