Sunday, April 8, 2012

Between the Tackles

Is both the name of a blog two friends of mine host? post to? (newbie here) and the title of the play they are writing together.

I've had numerous, mainly phone, conversations about the play during the writing process with Britt Kaufmann but none with Stephanie Stark Poling.  This is because, like me, Steph is a self-employed procrastinator (and her email account hates me and eats my emails).

I volunteered to read through the play for them before the first table read.  Mainly because Britt was freaking out a little and to make sure it made sense to someone who hadn't poured months of time and coffee and planning into it.  I pointed out a major plot point that needed a bit more development so it didn't flow right over an audience's help. Hey, I'm a close reader. Like them details, as long as I don't have to provide them.

I've kept myself from feeling jealous over Britt's writing success over the last year.  For the most part.  She's had a chapbook Belonging published through Finishing Line Press, & been solicited by the director of the Parkway Playhouse to write not one but two plays in the last year and a half. She deserves her success. She works damn hard for it.  Much harder than I do.  Or much smarter than I do.  I think it's mainly the latter.

When I lived in WNC, we were acquaintances who met through her husband (my doctor) and a local open mic event, Eve's Night Out, which she hosts on a monthly basis.  We didn't get to be close friends until I moved to Va, when we decided to work through Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way together.  It was the second run-through for both of us.

We laugh about this now.  We didn't bother to get to know each other & hang out while we lived 20 minutes from one another but we sure can talk on the phone for an a hour and a half now that we inhabit different states. Go figure.

I think I lost the point of this post due to ADHD.  I blame The Muppets.  & Short Attention Span Theater.

More later.

Link to Britt & Steph's blog:  http://betweenthetacklesplay.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment