Thursday, April 12, 2012

Holy Crap, Batman!

Well, I did edit my initial response when I found this blog post after Googling myself day before yesterday.  But still, HOLY CRAP!


http://vickyloras.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/my-post-for-marisa-constantinidess-blog-challenge-a-disabled-access-friendly-world-lessons-for-the-elt-classroom/

A lesson plan for one of my poems?!?  I'm being taught in high school?  (OK, somewhere, perhaps, maybe?)  Now I feel like a real author.  You know, like being taught in school is validating.  (No sarcasm meant at all.)  By reading the Vicky's Blog post, I learned that December 3rd is International Disability Day.  

Several of my poems have been accepted & published by Wordgathering.*  It is the online journal of disability poetry and essays edited by members of the Inglis House Poetry Workshop in Philadelphia, Pa.  I'm currently at the tail end of re-editing the chapbook which most of those poems were written toward, in yet another of Robert Lee Brewer's PAD** challenges.  But more on that later, as in another blog post.

I still have trouble believing that one of my little, off-the-cuff poems from one of RLB's Wednesday prompts has a lesson plan.  And this poem is pretty much transcribed as I wrote it in my poetry notebook, in December of 2009.   I was on a roll coming off of another intense 30 days of poetry. 

Makes me feel like someone needs to poke me to deflate my ego.   And no, you can't volunteer, David.  No one would see you take me down anyway, Ninja-boy.***


Dreams

My  

dreams
consist of
climbing stairs,
one by one, feeling
muscles clench and relax
at the direction of nerves driven
by my will to ascend up and up, away
from the darkness of waking, immobile, in
                                                my hospital bed.



*Dreams appeared in the December 2010 issue.  Zwolf was in the June 2011 issue as the 3rd place winner (for authors without disabilities) of their annual poetry contest.  Birth Pains was published in the December 2011 issue. 

** Both RLB's Poem-A-Day April Challenge and the November Chapbook Challenge turn 5 this year.  He also posts a weekly prompt for rabid poets on Wednesdays the rest of the year. 

*** We once clothes-lined each other, at the same time, in the middle of a karate class and NO ONE NOTICED!

No comments:

Post a Comment